Friday, September 12, 2014

Form, Function and Family – A Minute with Design Expert, Frank Fontana


Known as “The Design Dude,” Frank Fontana has been building a successful career for decades. As host of HGTV’s top-rated “Design on a Dime” and “Take Over my Makeover,” author of the popular book, Dirty Little Secrets of Design, creator of a signature line for Eddie Z’s, host of a radio program on WGN and a frequent contributor to the Today Show and Oprah.com, Frank is framing out admirable accomplishments.  Frank takes a minute with Old House New House Home Show Producer, Laura McNamara, to share his tools for successful design and his foundation, fixed firmly in family and fun.



Can you describe the home where you were raised?

I grew up in a first generation Italian home.  It was comfortable, full of love, family, and food.  And, of course the decor was gaudy and over the top (…laughing.)

When did you know that you were destined for design?

Ever since I was a kid I had the natural ability to draw, and with my imagination I could visualize things in vivid detail.

How did you first become interested in interior design?

In the nightlife and hospitality industry, my design skills came to life through creating theme parties and wild decor for events.  I knew I had that itch to create amazing spaces, and budgets were always tight so I had to make a dollar out of a dime.



How have the places you have lived in your life influenced your taste in design?

I have traveled the world, and lived in the biggest cities such as New York, Los Angeles and Chicago.  All have helped to add to my depths of creativity as each offers different creative energies and experiences to pull from.

How do you define your signature style?

It’s global eclectic: a mix of imported and vintage style with a time-worn, hand-made, earthy vibe.

In 3 words, what does every Frank Fontana project embody?

Function, form, fantasy.

What are the biggest mistakes that you see homeowners making these days?

Being too safe, and catalogue shopping!!  I say be brave, have mismatched end tables, unique fabrics, etc.
  
What are your influences?  Inspirations?  Mentors?

I have had and continue to have great inspirations in my life.  Many people have mentored me in creative and spiritual aspects, and I thank them all.  My wife, kids and parents take top billing!
  
When you are not busy working, designing, or on the air, what are your hobbies or interests?

My project home consumes me, but when not fixing it up, I'm a huge fitness buff.  I do cross-fit three times a week and walk and run the others.  I also spend as much time playing with my kids as possible since they are only young once.  Everything else is second!

Frank Fontana is presenting his “Interior Design Secrets” workshop on Sunday, 9/28 at noon.  Following his presentation, he will meet and greet fans in the Eddie Z’s Booth, #602.  For more information, visit www.eddiezs.com or www.frankfontana.net.

No comments:

Post a Comment